Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Clash of my 2 Cultures



I have been trying to keep up with the Winter Olympics since I tried snowboarding years ago. This year I was very excited to support Shani Davis, the Black speed skater. I was somewhat disappointed last night when he did not race and the arena's ice was bad(damn ice problems), but figured there would be another time to see him. After looking for some info about his next appearance, I came across an article about his potential competition, a South Korean speed skater named Mo. As I read the article I began to laugh. I was thinking how funny it was for these 2 skaters to be competing against each other and these are the 2 cultures that encompass my body and make me. Then I started to think about the riots that occured in LA after 15 yo Latasha Harlins was killed by a Korean grocer. The clashes that have been going on between Blacks and Koreans have been happening for years. It still continues to this date. Since I am a product of these 2 cultures it saddens me that as 2 minority groups trying to live the "American dream" and are becoming the majority of America we still can not get along. I find it ironic that Shani(Black) and Mo(Korean) are being labeled as the best of the best to beat. I know that it has nothing to do with race, but it just struck a chord in me that I wanted to write about it. Now my dilemma is who should I cheer for?? LOL Guess I'll be cheering for both!! BEST OF BOTH WORLDS

No comments:

Post a Comment