Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I'm not understanding the artist on this one....


Times Square Mural Reinforces Stereotypes of Black, Latina Women

By Jeff Mays on Mar 22nd 2010 11:33AM
Filed under: News, Race and Civil Rights

Times Square Mural Offends

I'm all for showing Black and Latina women who do not fit the traditional stereotype of being beautiful. I also support the rights of artists to be creative and interpretive. The mural at Times Square in New York City, though, misses the mark on both fronts.

Instead of showing the "non-traditional" beauty of Black, Latina and Caribbean women, I see two women on a couch who look like prostitutes. One has on hooker-type boots, with big gold doorknocker earrings and saggy breasts. The other, wearing a purple dress, is bent over and looks like she's "dropping it like it's hot" for a Lil' Wayne video. These images are anything but empowering. They represent the worst stereotypes about Black and Latina women.

"I want to recognize that these women, especially Caribbean women, dress like this and they should be respected in society the same way women with, like, briefcases or cell phones [are]," the artist Sofia Maldonado told My Fox New York.

Unfortunately, she has failed with the two images that I saw."What I want to see is something that motivates me, that makes me want to be more than what I am. When I look at these pictures, do I reaaly want to be this when I grow up?" Carmine Cologne, an engineer, told My Fox NewYork.

Other women agree. New York City Black Professionals and Phenomenal Women Group Inc. have staged a small protest and called for the head of the Times Square Alliance to remove the mural.

Another image of a young girl riding a skateboard doesn't seem as bad but the young lady depicted is fully clothed. Black and Latina women already face the stereotype that they are loud, over-sexualized beings with nothing but attitude and sharp head movements for anyone who even looks at them for too long.

Images that would have broken the stereotype are ones that I see in my Harlem neighborhood every day.

I see women dressed professionally heading to work.

I see women in medical scrubs and white jackets heading to Harlem hospital.

I see home health aides caring for our sick and elderly parents and grandparents.

I see women walking their children to school.

I see a Black woman police officer in a crisp blue uniform.

I see women entrepreneurs who own restaurants, salons and flower shops.

I see a Black woman lawyer with her own small practice.

I see a female token booth clerk.

These women are the backbone of the Black and Latino communities. With too many men shirking their responsibilities as husbands and fathers, Black and Latina women have filled the void.

These are the images I see in my diverse neighborhood. I'm not sure what Maldonado is looking at.

Why would you expect people to respect images like this?? I do not respect a prostitute or any other stereotype of a Black or Latin woman..I thought we were trying to shed these images of woman?? I understand the point about Black and Latino woman being the backbone of the communities due to the lack of responsible men but these are not the images that our children need to see or believe in..they have other options in life...I'm just saying....

No comments:

Post a Comment