Sunday, March 14, 2010

Doing the Most Good...Continued...












For two consecutive weekends, I have invested my time in helping others. Last weekend, I volunteered for RYLA a three day leadership camp. I was a group facilitator and participated in various workshops and activities that supported leadership and self awareness of high school students from various areas of Los Angeles County.

Friday, Roni and I participated in the 1 million meals drive for Haiti put together by the Salvation Army and the NuMana Organization. We helped packaged food the contents included, Soy, Vitamins and Seasoning Mix, Dried Vegetables and Rice. Yes, all in that order. .

Including Roni and I there were about 9 people on our assembly line.





(2) Scooping the contents through a funnel
(1) Held the bag
(2) Weighed the bags to ensure it weighed between 3.90-3.92 oz
(2) Sealed the bags
(2) Boxed the food








The process was seamless. There were volunteers that ensured we had enough supplies to keep the system going. I swear we went through about 500 pounds of rice.


In between scoops (it was hard to stay focused at times), I attempted to try and understand who all was responsible for bringing this unique group of people together in this random warehouse in the middle of East LA.






The Numana Organization was responsible for supplying the goods, supplies and the process for packaging the food. The Salvation Army provided the facility and the Man Power/ Volunteers.
I overheard a few of the volunteers talking about what Numana means. In Exodus chapter 16, when Moses and the Israelites had been freed and starving, looking for food, God provided for them Manna Bread and Quail . The Israelites asked Moses what this food was that came from the heavens. In response it was said, Just know that it is good for you. The Numana Organization was named symbolic of this story, Numana= “New” Manna. Another volunteer chimed in and explained, that because of logistic issues in Haiti and the difficulty of getting supplies to the people the first drop was made from the sky. What an amazing coincidence?


Thus far they have provided over 5,000,000 meals to Haiti. This drive was the first event of its kind on the Western Region thus far.

By trial and error they learned that dropping the food might not have been the best for the desperate Haitian people in the wake of such extreme devastation. All though well intended it evoked extreme chaos on the ground below. Technology provided a solution. UPS, “what can Brown do for you” provided the Salvation Army with a tracking system and database to better streamline the process and has since been implemented. The families are given a card that they can swipe that identifies who they are, how many people in their family and the last time they received food…. (The concept is dope, but kinda has a Mark of the Beast and a means of control feel to me. But Im gonna stay focused… That is a whole other topic) The Salvation Army is now able to monitor how often someone has received food and ensure families needs are getting meet and the food is rationed properly.


So how has all of this made me feel? That is a loaded question. Answer: One simple email led to a very spiritual and inspiring experience. It is just that simple. I have always been one who thought I understood the power of service and sisterhood/brotherhood. I do have Charity tattooed on my forearm. I didn’t know that three hours would take things to a whole other level.

This experience pulled on a very unselfish part of my essence that I can not ignore from this point forward.
How can I use my talents and resources to help those in need? Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, food, clothing and shelter seem overwhelmingly important, in my community, in my country and around the world.

It was also very great to see organizations inspire individuals to do their greatest Good.
It has evoked a natural High and I am definitely looking forward to my next Fix…


My Greatest work is Charity…. When He/God speaks you Must Listen!


KG






























No comments:

Post a Comment