Sunday, July 18, 2010

Happy Birthday To Me

As I get older having a party is not appealing anymore. When I was younger having my birthday recognized was a big deal, if someone didn't call me on that day I would be devasted. But now as a 34 year old woman I'm all about spending the day with fam&friends and relaxing. Since my wedding anniversary and birthday are 3 days apart my husband and I decided to take a road trip. Final destination was Monterey, Ca. When I was younger my family and I would always make a summer trip to the central coast. So it was like being young again. Our road trip was fun, boring, tiring, scenic and appreciated. When we arrived in Monterey, I felt a sense of calmness and relaxation take over me. I knew that this is what we both needed. I knew that this would be one of the best birthdays of my adult life. As we entered the county lines, I could smell the fresh air, saw no pollution or traffic. I knew my husband would appreciate this adventure, too. The weather was a cool 60degrees and the smell of the ocean was very welcomed. We stayed at the Quality Inn which thanks to my research on Priceline I got us a great deal for our 4 day stay. We checked in and went driving around the city. We went to the Old Fisherman's Wharf and were welcomed by the sea lions. Then we went Cannery Row and drove around some more. We were very lucky to have our hotel within 5 or 10mins of Monterey's attractions. In a short version of our adventure we went to Cali's best aquarium, on a boat ride, pedal boating on the lake, rode the free trolley, ate like pigs and appreciated the city's green way of living and it's natural scenery. It was so relaxing and enjoyable. As we made our 5hr drive back home on my birthday I realized that this was one of the best birthdays I had and it was so simple. No major planning, no calling everyone and rsvps, no reservations anywhere, no crowds and loud noise, no splitting the million dollar restaurant bill and best of all the next day I felt refreshed and appreciative for another year of life. I felt so blessed for another year that I registered to become a bone marrow donor. The day after my birthday as I was reading my gossip sites I ran across an article about a little girl that has a role in the Lion King play that needed a bone marrow transplant. As I read the article I questioned my self and my purpose on this Earth. Some may say that I'm the best sister, daughter, auntie and friend, but I know there is more that I am supposed to do. Something came over me after I finished reading the article and I found my self going to the DKMS website and registering for a home kit. I felt a sense of pride and blessings after I hit the register button. I told my husband the next day what I had did and he smiled; as I stated to him this was my birthday gift to myself and hopefully someone else's birthday gift in the future. Some times we need to think of others and you'll be surprised at the gifts you'll receive unexpectedly.
PSA----check out DKMS website http://www.battleforward.com/ you could be a match!!

No comments:

Post a Comment